Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Jumper - 7.0B rating


Hayden Christensen stars as in this Sci-Fi/ fantasy / I want to say thriller but it wasn’t that thrilling. Christensen (I want to call him Anakin) does an adequate job portraying a young adult with an amazing gift. He is able to teleport at will to any place he has seen or seen a picture of.

This is a pretty cool gimmick but a gimmick does not a movie make. I spent most of the movie waiting to see what they thought up to do with the gimmick. Since plot wise the movie didn’t have much going. The only interesting plot was Anakin’s Mother (I know; Again?). Played by the aging yet still attractive Dianne Lane, the mother abandons him at the age of 5 but then shows up in Rome to help him out of tight spot?

They thought up some pretty cool things to do with the gimmick. Unfortunately the editing of the movie was poor, that and or the shot angles. Many of the action scenes were very difficult to follow and understand exactly what was happening. Since they, Jumpers, can teleport at the speed of thought the action can move very quickly. I think the film makers were too close to the project. I am sure they thought it looked great because they were accustomed to the speed. Personally I feel this is a concept that would be perfect for some bullet-time. Just plain good old fashion slow-mo would have been fine too. The excellence of the gimmick would have been more thoroughly discovered in the hands of better story tellers.

Samuel L. Jackson plays the head of a secret above-the-law group known as the Paladins. Paladins have made it their mission throughout time to hunt down and kill Jumpers feeling they are an abomination before God. It’s a great role for him and I love Samuel Jackson and I think that any movie with him in it cannot be all bad. Honest!

If you have an affinity for Sci-Fi like me, wait for the rental. 7.0B stars.

IMDb
Rotten Tomatoes

No comments: